Monday, August 3, 2009

Recommendation: The Susan Gonzalez Story on the Biography Network


I SURVIVED—The Susan Gonzalez Story on Biography Network
Sunday, August 09 @ 9 pm ET
Rated: TVPG
Running Time: 60 Minutes

Summary: "After finishing a surveying job in a remote forest area, Brent finds himself face to face with a massive seven-foot-tall grizzly bear that begins to attack him. In a desperate attempt to save her and her husband's life, Susan grabs the .22 caliber pistol in her bedroom and engages in a gun battle with three masked men who invade their house late one night. And Denise must fight for her life when she is brutally assaulted by a man who gains entrance to her apartment by claiming to be a maintenance man."


In 1998, I published my first book, The Best Defense: True Stories of Intended Victims Who Defended Themselves with a Firearm.

My second book was a companion piece entitled Guns Save Lives: True Stories of Americans Defending Themselves with Firearms. For that book, I drove to Jacksonville, Florida to interview Susan Gonzalez. We sat on her sofa sipping sodas while my tape recorder ran and Susan told the horrific story of how she and her husband were nearly murdered by home invaders. Susan informed me that before the incident, she hated guns and didn’t even want her husband to keep one in the house. After using his Ruger .22-caliber handgun to save both their lives, now Susan never goes anywhere without her weapon.

On Sunday night, the television show “I Survived” will carry Susan’s story. I highly recommend it.

By the way, my third book, Outgunned, was published in 2004 and my fourth book, Sun Struck, will hit the book shelves in November.

It is because of stories like Susan’s that I’m a firm believer in the right to own and carry firearms. Regardless of all the arguments pro and con, the bottom line is that if I’m ever attacked, I demand the best defense available, which happens to be a gun.

No comments: