Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Thankful

Zack A. Crumpton, my grandfather, in his World War I uniform
Ode to America on Independence Day
by Robert A. Waters

I thank God that I was born in the United States of America.
You see, I could have been born during the Dark Ages.  For five hundred years, after the fall of Rome in 480 A.D., Europe descended into famine, plague, wars, and the intellectual domination of barbarians.  Life as we know it didn’t exist.  Back-breaking labor from dawn to dusk became the lot of the peasants.  Death by sword, disease, or constant toil cut most people down before they reached 35 years of age.
I could have been born during the era of the Black Death.  In the 1300s, 75-150 million people across the planet perished, a number so staggering as to defy imagination.  No medicine could cure the plague, no religious incantations stave it off.  Carcasses littered cities and villages and country-sides like flies.  Once the Black Death ended, survivors were emotionally scarred for life.
I might have been born a kulak in Russia during the “Red Terror,” when Lenin and Stalin murdered tens of millions.  Or I could have lived in countries ruled by Hitler or Pol Pot or Fidel Castro.
But I was one of the fortunate few.
I grew up in the United States during the 1950s.  All my family—parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents—were Christians.  While it has become fashionable among some to denigrate Christian faith, I can’t imagine life without God.
I grew to manhood when education was available for the masses.  So instead of slaving day-to-day in searing-hot fields, I’m thankful that I was able to attend college and work in air conditioned buildings.
I’m grateful for the medical advances that allowed me to live a healthy life.  Without modern medicine, I would have died when I was 57.  Open heart surgery saved my life.  I’m grateful that physicians through the ages developed advanced knowledge of the human body and the tools to fight off disease and afflictions.
America, land of freedom, land of dreams, a country where life slides by in monotonous, yet eventful days.  Our freedoms were earned with the blood of strangers, those who cared enough to die for people they would never know.
America, where we can live the way we want, as long as we don’t harm others, where we can choose our own paths.
I’m thankful for this country, and for those who came before and paved the way so that I could live a life filled with wonder and joy.
I thank God that I was born in the United States of America.                                              
 

4 comments:

Mussipitz said...

Well... sure there is a lot to be thankful for...

but when you grew up in the fifties... how about the people who were black? how about if you would be indian in this time...

not everything in the United States is that great... so I can't stand it anymore if they look down on other countries...

there is no excuses for the cruelties some rulers did to the people...

but there is also an american holocaust...

who brought the africans to America... who killed for profit and their land the indians?

probably your ancestors...

so... you were lucky...

anyway happy 4th of July

warmest regards

Andrea

Robert A. Waters said...

I never said it was perfect, but I'm happy to live in the good old USA. Happy 4th to you.

Susan said...

I'm glad to have been born here too. No country is perfect but America comes close and I love her.

Andrea, to be a proud American is not the same as to be a person who looks down upon the citizens of other countries.

Happy Independence Day to the USA!

pitbulllady said...

I often get others telling me " my ancestors killed American Indians or had slaves". My great grand parents came from Sweden an Germany, well after these thing happened. They worked hard, became citizens and were proud to be Americans, as I am. I thank God and those who fought for our country to defend our freedoms. No where is perfect, but I will stick with America any day!